Monday, March 1, 2010

"Mulling" it over


This weekend I was finally able to visit Wishbone, a Southern-inspired eatery in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood. The décor was warm and inviting with a playful color palette and an assortment of knickknacks, including an impressive array of Rooster figurines. The menu was filled with many of the Southern-comfort favorites you would expect, but I have to say that the real star of the meal was the mulled wine that my friend and I ordered. Now, I know that the name may sound less than appealing, but the beverage itself was spectacular. Filled with citrus and cinnamon undertones, the warm blend served as the perfect treat on yet another cold Chicago evening. (Yes, I’m aware that it is now March, but as anyone that lives in Chicago knows, it will still be winter until mid-April around here).

I wasn’t able to find Wishbone’s recipe for mulled wine but after prodding the waitress for the ingredients I scoured the internet using my incredible Google search skills to find one that I believe is a worthy substitute…

Mulled Wine Recipe

Ingredients
4 cups apple cider
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
1/4 cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange, zested and juiced
4 whole cloves
3 star anise
4 oranges, peeled, for garnish

Directions
Combine the cider, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Pour into mugs, add an orange peel to each and serve.

No comments: