Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Purple Pig

The Purple Pig is a Chicago restaurant that I had been dying to try ever since it opened last year. The menu boasts an eclectic mix of meats and cheeses prepared with a Mediterranean twist. What's even better is that the plates are served tapas style so that you can order a number of different items and really get a good feel for what the restaurant has to offer.

I FINALLY made it there recently (every time I'd tried to go previously it was packed and had at least a 2 hour wait) and it was definitely worthy of the all the buzz that's been going around about it. I may have overindulged just a bit in trying the Butternut Squash Arancini & Sage Pesto, the Fried Brussel Sprouts with Thyme, Lemon & Chili Flakes, the Roasted Bone Marrow with Herbs, the Chicken Thigh Kebabs with Fried Smashed Potatoes & Tzatziki, the Jamon Serrano with Oyster & Trumpet Mushrooms with Fried Egg over Grilled Bread and the Lemon Panna Cotta but you only live once right, and I should note that I did have a partner in my gluttonous endeavor.

My favorite dishes were surprisingly the Fried Brussel Sprouts (although this dish was difficult to eat) and the Lemon Panna Cotta. The brussel sprouts had an amazing crispy texture and exploded with flavor while providing a hint of heat from the chili flakes. The panna cotta was one of the best desserts that I've ever had which is saying something since I consider myself to be somewhat of a dessert fanatic. The other dishes we tried were really satisfying as well, my only complaint being that the meal as a whole was quite heavy - now that could be due to the items we selected - but everything did seem a bit on the rich-side and you could tell that a lot of salt was used. On the other hand, the service was incredible, the atmosphere was very cozy and comfortable and the presentation of the food was impressive to say the least. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience and am looking forward to making my second trip back to try out even more dishes!
Restaurant menus displayed on the light fixtures

Excellent wine that was recommended by our waitress (it went really well with all of the dishes we selected)

 Roasted Bone Marrow with Herbs

 Fried Brussel Sprouts with Thyme, Lemon & Chili Flakes

 Butternut Squash Arancini & Sage Pesto

 Jamon Serrano with Oyster & Trumpet Mushrooms with Fried Egg over Grilled Bread

 Chicken Thigh Kebabs with Fried Smashed Potatoes & Tzatziki

 Lemon Panna Cotta

Fun surprise at the bottom of the panna cotta! Yay Purple Pig!!!

No comments: