Friday, February 25, 2011

The Green Zebra

The Green Zebra is another of those Chicago restaurants that has been on my bucket list of restaurants to try ever since I saw it rated as one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Chicago. I wanted to see what a true vegetarian restaurant experience would be like since I can't remember ever going to a restaurant that was specifically vegetarian. Well, I have to say that I would not describe  the Green Zebra as one the best vegetarian restaurants in Chicago, I would instead describe it as one of THE BEST restaurants in Chicago. All of the dishes were hearty and provided layers upon layers of flavor. I learned that one of the Green Zebra's secrets is to add egg to a number of their dishes which helps to create the richness and depth that is often lacking in vegetarian dishes.

The menu itself was very eclectic which I hadn't anticipated. I knew that it changed with the seasons but I didn't realize that I would be able to try dishes that ranged from having Asian elements to Italian and everywhere in between. The dishes merged cooking origins and styles in such a way that I didn't have the capacity to notice that they lacked the meat that usually would take precedent in my meals.  I took some photos which I've included below but they do not do the meal justice. I recommend taking the trip to the Green Zebra at your earliest chance and can promise that you will not be disappointed and definitely will not miss the meat!


No comments: