Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Seafood

This past weekend I got a little adventurous after being inspired to make mussels ever since having them at Sardine a few weeks back. The idea of making mussels didn’t seem terribly difficult but I’d never made them before so I dug up one of the simplest recipes I could find to ensure minimal mistakes and headed off to the market. While waiting at the fish counter I spied some incredible-looking oysters so I figured I should get some to serve as an appropriate appetizer to my mussels. I also grabbed some peppers and onions to cook up and round out the meal for good measure.

The meal turned out way better than I expected. I enjoyed the simple yet delicious preparation of the mussels so much that I decided to include the recipe here:


Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. EVOO
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/ tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 lb. mussels
Directions:
Place skillet on grill over medium. Add EVOO, garlic and red pepper; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, wine and bay leaf; simmer 5 minutes. Add mussels; cook, covered, 8 minutes.

Assortment of peppers and onions that I grilled to go with the mussels

 Side note: Oysters are a pain in the you-know-what to shuck so my advice is to trick someone else into doing it for you like I did
Mussels! Success!

No comments: